An annoying system app bug or quickly ending batteries often compels iPhone and iPad users to download Apple’s new software quickly. However, iOS/iPadOS 14.4 updates should be given more attention as this release patches three vulnerabilities of great concern, which, according to Apple, might have been quickly exploited. Two of these are WebKit exploits, and the one is a kernel-level bug that could allow a remote hacker arbitrary code execution.
With iOS 14.4, users with compatible iPhone models 6S and up can scan smaller QR codes thanks to a tweaked camera app. Simultaneously, notifications will appear on the iPhone 12 series if third parties replace their camera hardware.
Moreover, the update brings a new option in the Settings menu, classifying the third-party Bluetooth audio device in-use. It will allow phones to correct the identification of connected headphones and drop relevant audio notifications. Bug fixes, on the other hand, include the following:
- Taken with iPhone Pro, image artifacts could appear in HDR photos.
- The fitness widget might not display updated Activity data.
- Typing may be delayed, and word suggestions may not appear on the keyboard.
- In messages, the keyboard might fail to show the correct language.
- After being paused for Siri or spoken directions, Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay might fail to resume.
- Phone calls might be prevented from being answered from the Lock Screen when enabling Switch Control in Accessibility.
Also, Apple has fixed three security vulnerabilities through these iOS/iPadOS 14.4 updates. One of these is a kernel-level exploit allowing malicious apps to take advantage. Simultaneously, the other two issues were WebKit-related, which could help a remote hacker execute harmful code. According to Apple, some anonymous security researchers reported these three loopholes. The company will share more information about these vulnerabilities in the future.
Updates were also released for tvOS with version 14.4 concerned with bug fixes and optimizations. It also included watchOS 7.3 holding the following features, improvements, and bug fixes:
- Unity watch face – inspired by the Pan African Flag colors, the shapes keep changing the whole day as the owner moves, creating a unique face.
- Time to Walk for Apple Fitness plus subscribers – an audio experience in the Workout app which allows guests to share inspiring stories
- Apple Watch Series 4 with ECG app or later in Thailand, Mayotte, Philippines, and Japan.
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications in Thailand, Mayotte, Philippines, Japan, and Taiwan.
- Fix for trouble where Notification Center and Control Center might become unresponsive if Zoom is enabled.