Everyone who is involved in business cares about two main things, such as creating the most comfortable working environment and minimizing costs while improving or at least maintaining high productivity. One of the essential components of a successful business today is communication. At the same time, uninterrupted communication is important, which does not depend on any world borders. Today, more and more companies use IP telephony, VoIP, and SIP to provide high-speed communication within different regions of one country and anywhere else in the world.
Differences of SIP and VoIP
So what is the difference between Sip and VoIP? VoIP and SIP are different technologies that differ in content, but both relate to IP telephony. Although these technologies are different, each of them has a wide range of possibilities, understanding which will allow you to make the right choice depending on the needs of communication. However, some companies use one of them, and others — both at the same time. But what is more optimal for you: to buy VoIP number or SIP?
VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)
You can make phone calls over the Internet or the Intranet, receive and send voice messages anywhere in the world using the Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology group. This technology, more precisely — a whole range of technologies, is actively developing. Moreover, many VoIP service providers offer their customers unlimited minutes.
- Therefore, VoIP is often used by various telecommunications networks, including world-famous platforms such as Skype and others.
- Some phones today can work over Wi-Fi, but not all of them. Some of them still work only via Ethernet. For many mobile VoIP, there are versions of applications for Android and Apple iOS platforms.
- VoIP gateway allows the wide use of various protocols — basic (for example, Skype Protocol) and standard (for example, Media Gateway Management Protocol (MGCP) or H.323, etc.).
- Another important positive aspect of the management of the VoIP service is the possibility of its separate use under the control of the hosted PBX. Companies whose business is related to customer service or sales can use call tracking to track and record calls using a hosted PBX. In this way, the company can see on which sites their advertising, for example, is more productive.
All the above makes VoIP a great choice for low-cost and high-quality internet phone service when you need a voice connection.
SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)
If there is a need for greater use of various multimedia (for example, audio or video files, voice messages, any data), even without a computer, then it is better to choose a SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) protocol. It is used as a communication protocol (along with VoIP to connect participants) to set up, modify, and end multimedia sessions.
- However, it should be noted that SIP requires higher-level phones than VoIP.
- Therefore, to avoid PRI lines, if you need to connect to a PSTN and want to use Internet telephony for purely business purposes, if the business does not require extensive use of different multimedia, or if you use an outdated telephone system (telephones or fax machines) that do not support different multimedia, then in terms of price it is more profitable to connect to the VoIP Internet service.
SIP trunking vs. VoIP
To ensure free access of subscribers, each of them can be allocated free access to a common frequency resource – trunking. Trunking is a method of communication in which subscribers get access to a shared channel bundle. In this way, the connection always remains uninterrupted, because the lines are free. But it is possible only if the addresser and addressee access the Internet using the same appropriate equipment. If one of the parties uses analog communication, VoIP will be better.
Of course, each company can choose the best option for themselves depending on their needs and solvency.